Germantown Jewish Centre (GJC)
A Community of Communities
The Germantown Jewish Centre (GJC) has been the heart of the Jewish community in Northwest Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs for 75 years. We are a vibrant, pluralistic and egalitarian synagogue located in Mount Airy and committed to sustaining and strengthening Jewish life in greater Philadelphia.
Affiliated with the Conservative movement and receptive to the wisdom of many sources in Judaism, we engage in life-long Jewish learning and strive to make Judaism relevant and important to our members’ lives. As a welcoming community, we embrace a wide diversity of Jewish lifestyles and households. Encouraging a variety of styles and settings for religious practice, we foster multiple prayer communities.We sustain each other by celebrating holidays and life-cycle events, and by sharing in cultural and social activities, social activism, and community building.
We support the State of Israel and Klal Israel. We work to strengthen Northwest Philadelphia through civic and interreligious activities. To these ends, we maintain a fiscally sustainable institution. We welcome anyone who shares our values and our commitment to Jewish community life.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the organization's About GJC page.
In The News
- Germantown Jewish Centre reaffirms support for Black Lives Matter after vandalism, Chestnut Hill Local, June 16, 2021.
- Childhood program in Mt. Airy grew stronger in crisis, Chestnut Hill Local, July 10, 2020.
- Germantown Jewish Centre to host its 36th annual Ralph Granger Memorial Shabbat, "Reimagining Our Journey Toward Racial Justice," January 18, Philadelphia Sunday Sun, January 16, 2020.
- Event Calendar: Events
- Facebook: germantownjewishcentre
- Facility Rentals: Rooms and Event Bookings
- Videos: Germantown Jewish Centre (YouTube Channel)