Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)
Home and Community Based Services is an information page at the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. It begins:
Long Term Care (LTC) services include both Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) and LTC Facility Services.
- A person who has a medical need for LTC services may choose which program to participate in.
- If a person applies for medical assistance and payment of LTC services, they must also meet the non-financial and financial medical assistance eligibility requirements.
Long Term Care Facility Services
- Long term care facilities, also known as nursing homes, provide both short and long term nursing and rehabilitation services for persons that require 24 hour care. A list of LTC facilities in Pennsylvania may be found via the PA Department of Health web site.
Home and Community Based Services
- Home and Community Based Services are also known as Waiver Funded Services or Waiver Programs. The name waiver comes from the fact that the federal government "waives" medical assistance rules for institutional care in order for Pennsylvania to use the funds for HCBS.
- HCBS provides for supports and services beyond those covered by the Medical Assistance (also referred to as Medicaid) program that enable a person to remain in a community setting rather than being admitted to a Long Term Care Facility. Currently the Department of Human Services administers 12 HCBS programs.
- Each HCBS program has its own eligibility requirements and services.