Johnson House Historic Site
The Johnson House Historic Site in Germantown calls itself "An Underground Railroad Station and House Museum" and gives the following descriptive information:
The Johnson House Historic Site, a Center for Civil and Social Advocacy, is a historic house museum that represents what everyday people have done and can do to make a difference in their community and beyond. The example of partnership—between Africans seeking freedom and the abolitionist Johnson family—serves as a catalyst to inspire, uplift and empower current and future generations. We accomplish these goals by creating interactive educational opportunities, fostering community initiatives and preserving the historic integrity of the house, grounds and outlier buildings.
From the site:
The Johnson House was built by John Johnson, son of a Dutch immigrant, for his son John Johnson Jr., as a wedding present in 1768. The Johnson family, Quakers, farmed the land and ran a thriving tannery business on their property. Stories that encompass the injustices of slavery and the perils of war; religious freedom, activism and human rights; political intrigue and ideological differences; and decency and compassion have unfolded within the walls of the Johnson House since its inception, and has been carefully interpreted and preserved to educate and inform today. From its beginnings as a manor house set in a bucolic agrarian community in the 1700’s owned by enlightened religious devotees, to its role as a pivotal station along the Underground Railroad in the 1800’s, and its current position as a historic preservation and educational institution in the 1900’s to current day, the Johnson House continues to symbolize freedom and civil liberties while championing the importance of community.
In The News
- Johnson House celebrates Black History Month, Philadelphia Tribune, February 24, 2016.