Russian Orthodox Church of Our Lady
The Russian Orthodox Church of Our Lady, or, Russian Orthodox of Our Lady, Joy of All Who Sorrow, is a congregation belonging to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad headquartered in New York City. The church gives the following descriptive information:
Founded by Russian immigrants (displaced persons), including Father Eugene Lyzlov (about Fr Evgeniy), in 1951, not long after World War II, the Russian Orthodox Church of Our Lady is a congregation belonging to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad headquartered in New York City.
By October 1957 we had moved from the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia to the Art Museum area, at the intersection of 20th and Brandywine Streets one block north of Spring Garden Street and six blocks west of Broad Street. To this day the church maintains the fullness of the Russian Orthodox tradition liturgically and in its teachings, and retains a very Russian character. We use the Julian calendar and a mixture of mostly Slavonic and some English in services, and of course members of all ethnic groups are welcome to worship with us. Besides our original members, we include newcomers from Russia and converts.
A former Protestant building, the church's present home has a fine stone façade with small arched windows reminiscent of Orthodox churches in the Balkans, and is topped by a gold three-bar Russian cross. On Brandywine Street in front of the rectory next to the church is a small garden with birdbath and crucifix roadside shrine. Inside, a small space has been transformed into a place of light and holiness, both 'an earthly heaven' and a reminder of the best of the old country, as was Father Eugene's intention.
The icon of the Mother of God on our iconostasis is a version of the Smolensk icon, to which our founding pastor, Fr. Eugene, had a special devotion. He died on this feast day, a sign of grace.