Preservation. Education. Community.
Stenton is one of the earliest, best-preserved and most authentic historic houses in Philadelphia.
Built in 1730 as a country house by James Logan--Secretary to William Penn; merchant, politician, justice, scientist, and scholar--Stenton is renowned for its early Georgian architecture and outstanding collections. The house is furnished with 18th- and 19th-century Logan family furnishings, many commissioned from some of the most well-known and skilled craftsmen in the Colonies, and others imported from England. Relatively untouched - electricity and plumbing were never installed at Stenton - the house gives an unparalleled view of colonial Pennsylvania.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have worked to "preserve and maintain Stenton as an historic object lesson" beginning in 1899. Since then, Stenton has spearheaded the award winning History Hunters Youth Reporter Program, which serves over 3,000 underserved Philadelphia schoolchildren each year. Additionally, Stenton's Colonial Revival Garden was the founding site for the Garden Club of America in 1913, and the site was honored as the winner of the Garden Club of America’s Founders Fund Award in June, 2015. Through tours, educational programs and special events, Stenton continues to transport visitors to the 18th Century.
Note: The above descriptive information came from the museum's About page.
In The News
- House Museum in North Philly Plans Monument for Former Slave, Hidden City Philadelphia, January 3, 2019.